Last updated: March 20, 2020
Who we are
WestStar MultiMedia Entertainment, Inc., is an Arizona corporation, and its subsidiaries and affiliate companies (herein “WestStar,” “Komando,” “we,” “us,” “our” and/or “the Company”) include, but are not limited to, WestStar TalkRadio Network, WestStar Television Productions, WestStar Merchandising Inc. d/b/a Komando Community (our premium, subscription component of www-stg.komando.com), The Kim Komando Show® and its official website located at, or linked to, www-stg.komando.com (herein, “websites”), together with all The Kim Komando Show® newsletters and associated publications (herein, “newsletters”).
The relevant data controller is:
WestStar MultiMedia Entertainment, Inc.
6135 N. 7th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85014
Data security, integrity and retention
Sponsored content policies and procedures
At Komando.com, we work with sponsors whose products and services align with our mission of providing readers with the information, tools and resources they need for life in this digital age. Each company we work with is thoroughly evaluated to ensure its products and organizational practices meet our criteria for recommending them to you, our readers.
As part of such collaborations, Komando.com occasionally creates content that highlights and informs our readers of various aspects of these brands. All native advertising prominently displays the words “PRESENTED BY” at the top of the article to ensure that readers can easily distinguish a paid post from our standard editorial content. These articles are paid for by our sponsors, which seek targeted exposure for their themes, messaging and products. In addition, a disclaimer is included at the bottom of paid posts to identify them as sponsored content, and internal links are clearly labeled as being connected to one of our sponsored brands.
Sponsored content, like our own editorial content, will sometimes recommend products, provide tips, answer reader questions, and respond to trending, relevant events. Komando.com may reject any sponsored content that is potentially misleading or is inconsistent with our brand in any way.
When creating these articles and promotions, our ultimate goal is that paid content on Komando.com is not misleading in any way and remains genuinely useful for our audience. We value our commitment to work only with high-quality companies and not with those that provide substandard products or services.
The types of information we collect
We collect two basic types of information, both of which are defined within this policy: Personal information and anonymous information. We also may use personal and anonymous information to create a third type of information: Aggregate information (also defined in this policy).
For example, we collect:
- Registration information you provide to us when you create an account, enter a promotion or contest, or link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account, such as your first name and surname, country of residence, gender, date of birth, email address, username, and password;
- Transactional information you provide to us when you request information or purchase a product or service from us, such as your postal address, telephone number and payment information;
- Information you provide in public forums on our sites and applications;
- Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post or similar functionality, where we are permitted by applicable law to collect this information;
- Information we obtain from a third party, such as a site or platform provider, about the use of our applications on third-party platforms or devices;
- Location information provided by a mobile or other device interacting with one of our sites or applications (including through beacon technologies) or associated with your IP address, where we are permitted by law to process this information;
- Activity information about your use, and the use by any person(s) you authorize through your account, of our sites and applications, such as the content you view or post, how often you use our services, and your preferences; and
- Usage, viewing, technical, and device data when you visit our sites, use our applications on third-party sites or platforms, or open emails we send, including your browser or device type, unique device identifier, and IP address.
We may ask for and receive your credit card information if and when you buy one of our products; however, we DO NOT store your credit card information on any of our servers or keep any records of your credit card numbers.
Credit card transactions are handled by established third-party merchant-processing companies that maintain PCI-DSS compliance. Our order fulfillment is done by WestStar team members. In the rare case of a third-party fulfillment, the third-party company receives the information they need to create and deliver your order either virtually or physically through a third-party courier service. When collecting credit card information for online purchases, we offer secured server transactions that encrypt your information in transit to thwart someone from intercepting it and misusing it.
All components of our business online that are used to process payments meet and maintain the standards set for PCI-DSS compliance. In the event you purchase a subscription service from us, your payment data will be stored by the third-party merchant-processing company in order to keep your subscription active and current. You may request that this data is removed and your subscription be canceled by calling our customer service team at 1-800-KOMANDO (566-2636).To maintain PCI-DSS compliance, your payment, or PAN, data is not stored within our systems. Furthermore, all of the customer data we collect is protected against unauthorized access by physical security means. We also encourage our partners and service providers to adopt and follow stringent consumer privacy policies.
How we collect your information
- We collect information you provide to us when you request or purchase products, services, or information from us, register for any of our free newsletters, register with us (including when you link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account), participate in public forums or other activities on our sites and applications, respond to guest surveys, or otherwise interact with us using one or more devices.
- We collect information through a variety of technologies, such as cookies, Flash cookies, pixels, tags, software development kits, application program interfaces and web beacons, including when you visit our sites and applications or use our applications on third-party sites or platforms using one or more devices, whether or not you are logged in or registered.
- We collect information using analytics tools, including when you visit our sites and applications or use our applications on third-party sites or platforms.
- We acquire information from other trusted sources to update or supplement the information you provided or we collected automatically, such as when we validate postal address information using third-party services. Applicable law may require that you authorize the third-party to share your information with us before we can acquire it.
A free subscription to any of Kim Komando’s newsletters are provided to our guests and customers with a “100% Spam-free Guarantee.” This “100% Spam-free Guarantee” means your email address will never be sold, swapped, rented or loaned to anyone — ever. When you subscribe to any or all of Kim’s free newsletters, you will receive a welcome email verifying the newsletters you have subscribed to and a link allowing you to manage your subscription. You may opt out (unsubscribe) at any time, either by using the online form or by sending an unsubscribe request via postal mail to:
The Kim Komando Show
Attn: Unsubscribe Newsletters
6135 N. 7th St.
Phoenix AZ 85014
Use of your information
The data controller mentioned earlier in this Policy is responsible for and may use your information for the purposes described in this policy. Other members of WestStar MultiMedia Entertainment, Inc., may have access to your information where they perform services on behalf of the data controller(s) (as a data processor) and, unless prohibited under applicable law, for use on their own behalf (as a data controller) for the purposes described in this policy. Consistent with applicable law and choices and controls that may be available to you, we may use information collected from you, or from devices associated with you, to:
- Provide you with the experiences, products and services you request, view, engage with or purchase;
- Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information or request feedback about features on our sites and applications or changes to our policies;
- Send you offers and promotions for our products and services or third-party products and services;
- Personalize content and experiences;
- Operate, understand, optimize, develop or improve our sites, applications, products, services and operations, including by using guest survey research and analytics tools; and
- Detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal.
We may send you newsletters and emails periodically listing current specials and deals from us or through our third-party service partners; however, you will have the choice to opt out of, or unsubscribe from, receiving newsletters and promotional emails for products and/or services offered on any one or more of our websites. In order to opt out of our promotional emails, you must opt out of receiving our free newsletters. Subsequent entries to our contests, sweepstakes or other promotions will reinstate your newsletter subscription and promotional emails. If you reinstate your subscription, you may elect to opt out again. To opt out or change your subscribed newsletters, please visit our newsletter management area at www-stg.komando.com/subscribe.
Sharing your personal information
We will not share your personal information with a third-party outside of the WestStar MultiMedia Entertainment, Inc., family of companies except in very limited circumstances, including:
- When you allow us to share your personal information with another company, such as directing us to share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms like social networking sites;
- When companies perform services on our behalf, like package delivery, marketing and advertising, and customer service (although these companies are prohibited from using your personal information for purposes other than those requested by us or required by law); and
Please note: Once we share your personal information with another company, the information received by the other company is controlled by that company and becomes subject to the other company’s privacy practices.
Controlling your information
We provide you the ability to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use and sharing of your information. In accordance with applicable law, your controls and choices may include:
- Correcting, updating and deleting your registration account;
- Choosing or changing your choices for subscriptions, newsletters and alerts;
- Choosing whether to receive, from us, offers and promotions for our products and services or products and services that we think may be of interest to you;
- Controlling targeted advertising from many ad networks and partners, data exchanges, and marketing analytics and digital advertising and marketing service providers (by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance);
- Choosing to control targeted advertising you receive within applications by using the settings and choices made available to you through your device(s) (e.g., by resetting your device’s advertising identifier and/or opting out of interest-based ads);
- Requesting the removal of your personal information from a public forum on one of our sites or application(s); and
- Requesting access to the personal information we hold about you and asking that we amend or delete it.
Please be aware that if you do not allow us to collect personal information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain experiences, products and services to you, and some of our services may not be able to take account of your interests and preferences. If the collection of personal information is mandatory, we will make that clear at the point of collection so that you can make an informed decision whether to participate. If you have questions about the specific personal information about you that we process or retain and your rights regarding that personal information, please contact us using the form available at www-stg.komando.com/contact-us.
We encourage you to ask questions and to be very cautious before you disclose your Personally Identifiable Information to others.
In addition, we may employ one or more third-party service partners that track the traffic on our websites; however, the only information that may be gathered by such third parties is Non-personally Identifiable Information with the exception of email addresses. For more information about how our third-party service partner(s) track traffic on our websites, as well as information on how to opt out of certain aspects of such tracking, please visit www.google.com/privacy_ads.html.
We sometimes partner with third parties that collect information across various channels, including offline and online, for the purposes of delivering more relevant advertising to you. Our partners may place or recognize a cookie on your computer, device or directly in our emails and/or communications, and we may share personal information with them if you have submitted such information to us, such as your name, postal address or email address. Our partners may link the personal information we share with them to the cookie stored on your browser or device, and they may collect information such as your IP address, browser or operating system type and version, and demographic or inferred-interest information. Our partners use this information to recognize you across different channels and platforms over time for advertising, analytics, attribution and reporting purposes. For example, our partners may deliver an ad to you in your web browser based on a purchase you made in a physical retail store, or they may send a personalized marketing email to you based on the fact that you visited a particular website.
To learn more about interest-based advertising in general, and to opt out, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Limitation of liability
- The Company and/or its respective licensors, affiliates and suppliers make no representations about the suitability, reliability, availability, timeliness, lack of viruses or other harmful components, and accuracy of the information, software, products, services and related graphics contained within our websites for any purpose. All such information, software, products, services and related graphics are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind. The Company and/or its respective licensors, affiliates and suppliers hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, workmanlike effort, title and non-infringement. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.
- You specifically agree that the Company shall not be responsible for unauthorized access to or alteration or interception of your personal information/data, transmissions or other data, any material or data sent or received not sent or received, or any transactions entered into through our websites. You specifically agree that our Company and/or our websites are not responsible for any content sent using and/or included in our websites by any third party. You further agree that the Company and/or its respective licensors, affiliates and suppliers may make improvements and/or changes to our websites and/or may discontinue any part of our websites at any time.
- Should any litigation arise out of the operation of this Policy, you hereby specifically agree that the court which shall have first jurisdiction in any legal matters pertaining to this Policy shall be a court of appropriate jurisdiction, which shall be located within Maricopa County, Arizona, USA.
- You further specifically agree that any and all claims and/or causes of action which could or shall arise out of, or in connection with, this Policy shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and that any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event shall such damages include attorneys’ fees. You (or parent/legal guardian if user is a minor) hereby waive all rights to punitive, incidental, consequential or any other damages other than actual out-of-pocket expenses. You (or parent/legal guardian if user is a minor) shall not claim or receive any damages subject to being multiplied or otherwise increased.
- In the event that any rule or any provision of this Policy is, or shall be found to be, in conflict with any state, municipality or government statute, law, ordinance, code or rule, then that Policy rule (or rules) shall be deemed changed as necessary to conform to all laws, statues and/or governmental regulations and the like, if possible. In the event that any provision of this Policy shall be found to be invalid or in conflict with any state, municipality or government jurisdiction, neither the validity or enforceability of any other portion of aspect of this Policy shall be affected in any way whatsoever, and the reminder shall remain in full force and effect until cancelled, modified or replaced by the Company.
Contests and prize giveaways
From time to time, we may offer prize giveaways, contests and sweepstakes. All prize winners in our giveaways, contests and sweepstakes specifically agree to the use by the Company, prize suppliers and/or our sponsors, of your name and photograph in the prize winners’ lists and for other promotional purposes to be determined by the Company. Your photograph, full name, city and state of residence, local radio station information, face, voice, and/or likeness may be used on the air, in print or in electronic publication as we deem appropriate, and in entering and/or accepting any prize, you hereby grant us the right to do so without further notice to you. Information such as your telephone number and street address and/or email address will not be made public.
Winners further specifically agree that use by the Company, prize suppliers and/or sponsors of their name, voice, face or likeness or use of their descriptions in any way and through any means now known or later devised, shall not be deemed a violation of their privacy or individual intellectual property rights or any other rights. The validity and operation of this rule shall continue past the duration of any and all prize giveaways, contests and sweepstakes and shall survive (and winners agree to be bound by this rule) in perpetuity.
Copyright and trademark notice
The Kim Komando Show® and all material pertaining thereto is a Registered Trademark/Servicemark: No. 2,281,044. America’s Digital Goddess® and all material pertaining thereto is a Registered Trademark/Servicemark: No. 3,727,509. Digital Diva® and all material pertaining thereto is a Registered Trademark/Servicemark: No. 2,463,516. Any and all other material herein is copyrighted from 1995 through 2021 and protected by WestStar MultiMedia Entertainment, Inc., all rights reserved.
The Kim Komando Show, Digital Goddess, Kim Komando and WestStar TalkRadio Network are either trademarks or registered trademarks of WestStar MultiMedia Entertainment, Inc., or its affiliated companies. Any rights not specifically granted herein are reserved for and by WestStar MultiMedia Entertainment, Inc.